Thursday, January 2, 2014

Farewell and Hello

The end of a great year and the beginning of a new, unwritten one. I have many dreams and ideas and plans for 2014 and I look forward to seeing how everything unfolds. I started the year with a very relaxing day, something rare in my life. I have a 100 mile race in 16 days...and another, even more brutal "race" two months after that.
I had thought the first 4 months of 2014 would be restful. That I would write my book, make quilts, drink tea and put on a couple of stellar races in the Pacific Northwest. Now, I am staring at two and a half long, hard months of training...not only my body, but also my mind. By April I hope to be in the best shape of my life. Better even than when I hiked the PCT. For though at the end I felt strong and powerful I was also frail: nothing but giant legs. The wind would catch my pack and slap me to the ground. I was forward momentum and nothing else.
I am not sure what course the training will take, but I have a professional helping me, so I am very excited for that. I look forward to the process, even though it will be hard. I plan to chart my training in this blog for those that are interested in following along...or keeping pace.

3 comments:

  1. That's Awesome, Heather! There's nothing like having a few races on the calendar to keep the momentum moving forward. Are you doing HURT and Badger Mountain this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie,
      I am running HURT IN JUST 2 weeks, but not Badger. I had a great race there 2 years ago. It would be hard to top.

      Delete
  2. Aaaaaah, Hawaii! It will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete