Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Chirico Tenpeat...or how to do 17k in a day

17,000ft of gain. 33 miles. 1 trail.

That was my day a couple Wednesday’s ago. The Chirico Trail on Tiger Mountain in Issaquah is a steep, short trail that climbs from the base of the mountain to the popular Poo Poo Point. I’d heard that once a year Seattle area runners gather there to do repeats on the trail with 10 being the goal. I’d also heard it was incredibly difficult. So, I went.

It was a chilly start as I stood there in my singlet and little spandex shorts. The first climb I dashed up, arms crossed across my chest to stay warm. By the time I reached the top I was sweating. The first 5 repeats clicked by rapidly. I used my Ultimate Direction Body Bottle and loved it. It was the perfect amount of fluids for the 3.3 miles loop.

5 down, 5 to go

By repeat 6 the temperatures had climbed into the low 70’s and I was crusted with salt. I decided to practice hiking with my new Gossamer Gear LT4S trekking poles for laps 7-10. These poles are incredibly light, weighing in at just over 8oz for a pair. As I fatigued in lap 9 and 10 they became essential to help me continue climbing strongly. I haven’t developed a technique for running downhill with them so I just carried them in my hand, tucked behind my arm.

Poles really helped the later miles

It was a great day to play on the trails and I enjoyed the mental challenge of doing so many repeats on the same hill. I think I’ll be back to try and hit at least 20k on this trail as I continue to train for some of my upcoming adventures. A huge thank you to Jess Mullen for hosting this Fat Ass event.

Delicious Rainier Views

No comments:

Post a Comment