Wednesday, February 4, 2015

MaskIT Feminine Product Disposal Review

At the 2015 Winter OR in Salt Lake City a few weeks ago I got the opportunity to see a lot of great products. By far the one I was most excited about were the MaskIT pouches. Not only are they a great product, but they are a long over-due solution for us outdoor women who aren't using Diva Cups.

Shallan, the founder, inventor, and CEO is also a source of entrepreneurial inspiration. This is an Ashland, OR based company and the products are made in Covina, CA. I love that it's a made in the USA product. Shallan gave me a few samples to try out, which I did on my recent hiking adventure. I was stoked to find that they lived up to their claims.

The MaskIT pouches are indeed easy to use, don't leak, are odor proof, and opaque. They come in different sizes, one for tampons and one for pads. They are easy to use and help make changing out products much more sanitary.

While these are great for disposal in both the front country and the back country, I am beyond stoked to use them backpacking for the following reasons:
  • The glove-like pouches keep things sanitary when changing out products. They keep dirty hiking fingers away from your delicate bits and keep menstrual blood off your hands. Win-win.
  • You can flip and seal everything off with ease. The closure is sturdy and doesn't leak. In the past I used a triple plastic baggie method that was cumbersome. This is so much easier.
  • No leaks. Nada. I just tossed it into my trash bag with my other trash and forgot about it. No worries.
  • The fact that these are odor proof is awesome for a couple of reasons:
    • When you're accumulating a bunch of used feminine products on a multi-day trip it's hard to keep them from getting stinky. Even in my old triple baggie days you still had to open the bags to add more. With the MaskIT's you don't have to open anything. Once it's sealed you don't even notice it. 
    • Secondly, you don't have to worry about your trash attracting animals or insects. I discovered once quite by accident that ants love blood...eew! And, while the validity of the statement that menstruation attracts predators such as mountain lions or bears is unproven, using the MaskIT can definitely put your mind to rest if you are concerned about it (as many women are).
  • These are opaque, yay! Nothing more gross than seeing your used products in your trash bag.
  • I also like the fact that they can accommodate whichever product you use.
  • Lastly, although not intended for this use, I think they'd be perfect for back country condom disposal as well.
This is a small company and growing. Right now you can find the products on Amazon as well as Gossamer Gear

No comments:

Post a Comment