Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Product Review: Navitas Naturals Coconut Chips and the Superfood+ Snacks



A while back the folks over at Navitas Naturals sent me some products to try out. I received Caramel Coconut Chips, Coconut Hemp Pepitas, Cacao Hemp Almonds, and Cacao Goji Power Snacks. Here are my thoughts:

I'm solar and chocolate powered, so I was extra stoked to see Cocoa in two of the three products. I also love coconut. However, I'm not really a fan of pepitas, so those got sifted to the bottom of the hiking food box. One by one I devoured enjoyed the products on a range of activities from the Barkley Marathons, to plane rides and car trips, from peakbagging in Death Valley to a dayhike on a sunny spring day in Washington. 

  • Caramel Coconut Chips: These are a delicious sweet treat. I've enjoyed sweetened coconut chips from Costco, and Dang! before, but these didn't have a "these-have-had-flavors-added" aftertaste to them. I'm pretty sensitive to flavors in food, so I generally try to avoid them. Since these have three ingredients (coconut, coconut nectar, and sea salt) they tasted more "real" and not just sweet. Warning, it's hard to set the bag down.
  • Cacao Hemp Almonds: I don't know if the almonds used here are soaked/sprouted, but the texture seemed like it. The cacao coating was just sweet enough to overcome chocolate's natural bitterness, but not so much that you lost the flavor. The main problem with these is that the coating came off in the higher temps. Although, that didn't stop me from inverting the bag and licking it clean...
  • Cacao Goji Power Snacks: I've had similar products to this before. The flavor and texture are great, not too dry. I ate these on hikes and at the Barkley because of their calorie density. They were excellent.

And what about the pepitas you ask?

I finally opened them on the plane coming home from Barkley. And...
I ate the WHOLE BAG in about 3 handfuls.

For someone who isn't a pepita fan, I don't know what they did, but these are delicious. End of story.

Overall, if you're looking for clean burning, whole food, calorie dense, nutritious snacks to fuel athletic adventures and daily life these products are excellent choices. I'm looking forward to ordering more of each for my summer adventures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment