Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Rock and Snow

Kick
Step
Kick
Step
Bite
Slush
Bite
Slush
Kick
Step

It is the rhythm that carries me upward through icy crust over soft-serve. My crampons provide purchase; my weight causes me to sink. It is exhausting and yet, I wouldn't trade it for the world. My mind is singularly focused on the motion, the effort, the climb.

The sun dazzles my eyes even through dark glasses. The towers of rock in all directions seem impenetrable until chunks the size of my torso plummet down, smacking into the snow...thunk, slush.

I am alone here in a world of rock and snow. Keenly aware of how small I am in comparison to the mountains and the rivers of ice I ascend. The wind stinging my cheeks is bitter. To most this is a foreboding landscape devoid of life and not the least bit welcoming. Yet, to me, it is a sacred space–a cathedral of God austerely welcoming to those who are called. To those that dare ascend this close to the heavens.

Kick
Step
Kick
Step
Bite
Slush
Bite
Slush
Kick
Step
Kick
Step

I am alone here in a world of rock and snow. 
I find connection. I find zen. I find clarity. I find God.
I am whole here.
Again and again, I am compelled to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment