Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Food for the Long Haul: Pro Bar Review

ProBars have been around for a long time. The orange wrappers are easily identifiable in nearly any hiker box or health food store. I tried one many years ago (probably the Original flavor) and was not impressed. It wasn't until I met Adam and he gave me a Coconut Chocolate one that I realized that these are pretty darn good for a bar! I subsequently tried many different flavors as well as their additional products Bolt Blocks, Fuel, Balance, and Bite bars.

I've been impressed by the flavor and obvious quality of the ingredients. As someone who will probably never be able to choke down a Clif bar again the ProBar lineup has given me a new way to supply my eat on the go methods. I like simplicity, and nothings much more simple than a meal in a wrapper that you can eat while hiking.

My daily food strategy consists of a ProBar Meal bar for breakfast. That's 390 calories weighing in at only 3 ounces. During the day I have a ProBar Balance (protein) bar that I will eat in portions. Too much protein at one time while hiking tends to give me a “gut bomb” which leaves me nauseous and sluggish for a while. The Balance bars have 20 grams of protein, 290 calories and weighs 2.46 ounces. This means that I can take a bite every few hours to help keep my macro nutrient balance intact without overwhelming my digestive system while I'm exercising. In addition, I have Fuel and Bite bars as well as Bolt Blocks thrown in to provide variety. I like the real fruit chunks and chia seeds in the Fuel Bars and the real fruit flavor of the Bolt Blocks.

Cons: I don't like that there is canola oil in ProBar products. I generally avoid canola in everything, but in this case I believe the benefits outweigh that detractor.

My Favorite Flavors:

Meal: Oatmeal Raisin, Strawberry, Koka Mocha
Fuel: Strawberry, Cherry, Cran-Raspberry
Bite: Peanut Butter Chocolate, Peanut Butter Crunch, Mixed Berry

Bolt: Raspberry, Strawberry (noticing a trend??)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your record attempt! (no reply necessary - stay focused).. All the best!

    ReplyDelete