Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Food for the Long Haul: Salazon Chocolate Bar Review

I am solar and chocolate powered. That's no secret. I discovered Salazon Chocolate a couple years ago while working at a food co-op. The bars boast gorgeous mountain scenery on the wrappers as well as the logo's of conservation and trail alliances that they support with the proceeds. I bought one and was hooked...salty, delicous Dominican chocolate...that helps support the wild places I love. Sold!
2% of profits of their Trail Series flavors go to support the "big three" AT, PCT, CDT
A chance exchange with a friend got me in contact with Salazon and soon I had several cases of chocolate to give away to people I meet hiking and to fuel me on my hikes. Did you know that a bar of chocolate fuels about 1 hour of hiking? Now, an hour of every day on the trail is fueled by Salazon :)



One of the main differences between Salazon and other chocolates is that all of their bars are salted, but not overwhelmingly so. Just enough. I sprinkle just a dash of salt on my Coconut Bliss ice cream too because a tad of salt compliments sweetness incredibly. If you have never expereienced salted chocolate, especially when hiking, then you might not understand how amazing this is. Not to mention after a long day of sweating, salts and carbs are critical to replace. Hence, salted chocolate is truly the best recovery food you can imagine...!

Ok, so enough with the justifying of why I enjoy chocolate so much. Here's the basics about Salazon that I love:

Organic
Salted
Fair Trade
Quality

And all of those components inevitably lead to incredible flavor.


I haven't had a bad chocolate from them yet, but since I tend to like darker chocolate (I munch on raw nibs) these are my favorites: 72% with Almonds, Coffee, Cayenne

No comments:

Post a Comment