Friday, October 30, 2015

Food For the Long Haul: Navitas Naturals Superfoods

As an insider with Navitas Naturals I get a discount on their wide variety of products. This has enabled me to eat better at home and in the backcountry.

I've stocked my boxes throughout my hike with a wide variety of Navitas Superfoods. Everything I've tried from them has been excellent, both in quality and flavor. The nutritional value is exceptional.

While I've been eating a wide variety of their dried fruits, and Superfood+ Snacks for several months, my favorites that provide the basis of my nutritional strategy for the AT are:

Cacao Sweet Nibs: Full of antioxidants, magnesium, sodium, and iron. Essential trace minerals for muscle function and repair

Goji Berries: High in Vitamin A, Protein and Vitamin C as well as other trace minerals to keep me healthy.

Green Coffee Powder: Powerful caffeine to keep me moving when the sleep deprivation is overwhelming, coupled with all the fragile antioxidants and fiber of a whole bean undamaged by roasting.

Mulberries: High in Vitamin C and Iron. Critical for someone like me who has struggled with anemia for years.

Lemon Goldenberry Power Snacks: Tasty, calorie dense chunks of energy!

Cacao Almonds: Protein, healthy fats and delicious cacao! Yum :)

Coconut Pepitas: Wide variety of nutrients and healthy fats. Calorically dense.

If you're looking for variety or a way to incorporate healthy foods into your trail rotation, I highly recommend giving any of these (or their other products) a try!

I will mention my one fail here. I bought the Pomegranate Powder with the intention of mixing it with my water to make a tasty backcountry smoothie. Not so good. I'll stick to Nuun and/or Emergen-C and save the fruit powders for use at home in real smoothies!

First two days of food!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a much better option for the trail vs. the over processed, sodium laden alternatives. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I'll be trying these and possibly use on my 2016 PCT thru-hike.

    ReplyDelete