Tuesday, November 3, 2015

AT Gear Review: Gossamer Gear Gorilla

I used the Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack for my 2015 thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. You can see my full gear list here. I am a brand ambassador for Gossamer Gear and they generously provided this pack to me at no cost. The following review was not required by them however, and reflects my experience with the pack.

I was very happy with this backpack! I made a few modifications to it, namely removing the aluminum stay, cutting off excess webbing and straps, and replacing the backpad with my closed cell foam torso pad (also by Gossamer Gear).

Just before climbing Mt. Katahdin on August 1st 2015

Sizing and Fit: I wore a size small pack and hip belt. I prefer my pack ride higher rather than lower and have found that despite my 16" torso length a medium is far too long for me. The pack straps were comfortably padded and narrow enough to not fall off of my shoulders.

Capacity: The Gorilla may seem large for an FKT attempt, however, even traveling the way I did I often went 3-4 days between resupplies. Therefore the Gorilla was an excellent choice to carry everything comfortably. On shorter carries I could pack out high volume food, such as chips or popcorn, without having it awkwardly tied to the outside of my pack.

Start of a 4.5 day carry
Comfort: I mentioned already that the pack straps were comfortable. This was imperative for me considering that the last time I did a hike like this with another brand of pack it was not comfortable. I still have scars on my shoulders from it. I did get small pack sores on my shoulders and lower back again this time, but they were not as severe. I think when wearing a pack for 18 hours a day for two months some sores are inevitable. A good fitting pack will make them manageable.

Back after PCT
Back after AT
















Durability: My Gorilla showed almost no signs of wear at the end of the hike. However, the airline ripped one of the straps off on my return flight home :( If you're checking your backpack, always put it inside something else! I tried to put it in a bag and they removed it. So, best to put it in another suitcase or carry on.
At the ATC in Harper's Ferry, WV


1 comment:

  1. Do you think that a 40 L pack will be enough for a regular thru-hiker or section hiker? I'm planning on doing my first section hike this summer and am hoping to go from Georgia to Virginia. I've been planning like crazy to pack as light as possible, but I'm just wondering if 40 is enough since for my first long hike since you did your FKT attempt with it.

    ReplyDelete