Tuesday, November 10, 2015

AT Gear Review: Nightlight Sleeping Pad and Klymit Inertia Sleeping Pad

I used the Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso Pad for my 2015 thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. You can see my full gear list here. I am a brand ambassador for Gossamer Gear and they generously provided this pad to me at no cost. The following review was not required by them however, and reflects my experience with the product. I coupled this with an inflatable Klymit Inertia Sleeping Pad for added comfort.

In the past I have used a single Thermarest ZRest size small with two sections cut off. I had toyed with the idea of using an inflatable pad on my AT hike, but was unwilling to trust my already compromised sleep to something that could leak.

I decided to combine two very light pads for an overall weight of around 8oz.

I was completely satisfied with this combination. I slept with my feet propped up on my odor proof food bag or my backpack depending on the regulations of the area I was in. The comfort of the two pads enabled me to sleep very comfortably in any condition and was much warmer than the ZRest. I will use this combination again.

The Klymit pad did not puncure or deflate. The Nightlight pad seems indestructible (as do most closed cell foam pads). The Nightlight also did not seem to compress and lose insulation over the duration of the hike as my ZRests have done in the past.

I did not do a side by side comparison, however it seemed like the Nightlight might be more insulating as a single layer than other closed cell foam pads.

The Gorilla Pack is designed with an external pad sleeve. It was an excellent way to carry a non-collapsible pad without sacrificing interior pack capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment