Tuesday, November 17, 2015

AT Gear Review: ZPacks 35 Degree Sleeping Bag

I purchased my sleeping bag from ZPacks and am not affiliated with the company in any way, although they did generously offer me a discount. This review was not requested by them and is my own experience with the product. You can see my full AT gear list here.

When I first opened the package containing my ZPacks 35 degree bag 3 days before I left for the AT I had a moment of panic. I could literally see the feathers through the fabric and the 1 pound bag felt like nothing in my hands. As someone who sleeps cold I was terrified it wasn't going to be warm enough.

I was wrong.

First of all, most nights on the AT were uncomfortably hot and humid. Often the bag was only over my legs or used as a blanket. But on the nights when the temps were actually in the 50's or below, it was completely warm enough.

Temperature Rating: As I said, I sleep very cold, so most nights I was wearing my clean fleece sleep clothes. These kept me warmer and kept the bag cleaner. I also wore a fleece balaclava (rolled up to just a hat). In conjunction with this outfit, the 35 degree rating was sufficient.

However, the night before I went into Damascus the temperatures dropped into the upper 30's. I was cold that night, despite wearing everything and cinching the bag tight. So, for me, the 35 degree rating is definitely a survival rating and not a comfort rating. This is true of almost every single sleeping bag.

DIY Down Jacket on a cold morning

Warmth to Weight: In the past I have used a 20 degree bag for my summer bag and been happy with it. This ZPacks bag was just as comfortable in the same temperature range and saved me an entire POUND off of my base weight. You can also order the bag with more (or less) fill for a negligible increase in weight.

Durability: The zipper and draw cord are very tiny. The fabric is very delicate. It may not be as durable in the long run as another brand, only time will tell. However, after an entire thru-hike there are no visible signs of wear or damage.

Major Drawback: No attached hood. Even with a hat I would have stayed much warmer if the bag had a hood. ZPacks makes a separate hood that is designed to make a functionally modular hat and sleeping bag hood (I assume). However, my personal preference would be to have it attached to my bag since I'm going to be carrying a different hat anyway. But, that's just me.

Keeping Dinner from freezing on a very cold night

Overall, I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thru-hiking. I know I'll be buying another one when this one dies. Or, maybe before with more fill for winter adventures... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment