Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Food for the Long Haul: Appalachian Trail Food Review

Throughout the summer reviews of the food I had stocked my boxes with were published here using the scheduling feature so you'd have something to read while I was out hiking :) My pre-reviews were written based on my experiences with the products in the months leading up to the AT. Despite eating everything in a variety of situations (from sitting on a plane to hiking in Death Valley to climbing Rainier) it's still hard to predict how exactly it will be to eat those things for weeks on end while thru-hiking.

So, here it is my final review of how these things stacked up on a thru-hike...

My original review of Navitas Naturals Products:
What worked: Goji Berries, Mulberries, various flavors PowerSnacks.
What didn't: Ziplocs of Coconut Water powder absorbed moisture rendering it unusable. Not Navitas fault, but a poor packaging choice on my behalf. Green Coffee powder wasn't strong enough in the later stages of my hike. I got tired of the Coconut Pepitas.

My original review of Salazon Chocolate.
What worked: It all did. Chocolate, Nom.
What didn't: I wish I'd brought 2 bars of chocolate per day.

My original review of Health Warrior Chia Bars.
What worked: The chia bars were awesome, but not enough. Could have eaten 4 at a time.
What didn't: I got tired of the protein bars. They had a pea protein aftertaste that started to become obvious when I was on the trail.

My original review of ProBars
What worked: The meal bars were perfect for breakfast. The Base bars were an excellent post dinner protein and chocolate treat. Bolt and Fuel products were nice variety.
What didn't: Nothing. I'm still eating Base bars for snacks at home...

My original review of Bogg's Trail Butter
What worked: The caffeine, fat, protein and overall awesome magic of Trail Butter fueled me throughout my hike.
What didn't: I wish I had brought 2-3 times as much.

My original review of Electro Bites
What worked: These saved me so many times. The humidity of the East was draining. Having these really kept me from getting into some serious problems.
What didn't: My distribution. I should have had more in the mid-Atlantic and less down south.

So there you have it folks. Most of what I predicted to be perfect for the hike was indeed. So, if you're looking for some new variety I can fully recommend these products.

No comments:

Post a Comment