Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Altra Lone Peak 2.5 Review

I've been wearing the Altra Lone Peak since version 1, and while it remains my favorite, version 2.5 is definitely a close second.

Lone Peak version 1

I wore Lone Peak 2.0's for the first 1,100 miles of the Appalachian Trail this year. I slipped my first pair of 2.5's on at Harper's Ferry, WV.

AT Center in Harper's Ferry

I walked out of there pretty much singing. My feet were oh so very happy.

Reasons I love the 2.5:

  • Slipper comfort
  • Lighter than the 2.0
  • Breathable
  • More durable upper*
  • Just the right amount of cushion to protect foot while still feeling connected to the terrain. 


Caveats:

  • The tread seems to wear down quicker than I'd anticipate

I put the 2.5's through their paces this summer. I was very impressed overall and certainly feel like these are the best iteration of the Lone Peak since the original. I found that they fit the same as the 2.0. As with all Altra shoes, the ZeroDrop and Foot Shaped Toe Box allow my foot to be a foot and act as nature intended.

Somewhere in Virginia

*Granted, the terrain I wore the 2.5 on was not as technical as the parts I wore the 2.0 on, however, I didn't notice significant wear, even after 500+ miles.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing the Lone Peaks. I keep going back and forth between the Olympus and the Lone Peaks. Have you had much experience with the Olympus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin,
      I don't personally like the rocker feature on the Olympus so have not worn it. I am quite content with my Lone Peaks. I do know that many thru-hikers love the Olympus because of the extra cushioning.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the rocker is lumpy. I bought the latest Olympus 2.0, and it seems that the rocker is much flatter. The upper is softer and the vibram sole is very good. Thanks for doing all the gear reviews!!

      Delete