Tuesday, December 1, 2015

AT Gear Review: ZPacks Soloplex Tent

I purchased my tent from ZPacks and am not affiliated with the company in any way, although they did generously offer me a discount. This review was not requested by them and is my own experience with the product. You can see my full AT gear list here.

I used my ZPacks Hexamid for several years, including my PCT thru-hike in 2013. It was starting to show the 4000 miles I'd put on it though and so I knew I was going to need a more stormproof shelter for the AT. I chose the ZPacks Soloplex.

I used to say my Hexamid was my favorite piece of gear. Now, it's a toss up between that and the Soloplex. Basically, I think no matter what shelter you choose from ZPacks it's going to be awesome.

Getting the tension just right
Footprint: The Soloplex takes more space to set up than the Hexamid, although I was still able to cram it under rhododendron and even on the trail a couple times. It takes practice to get the pitch right, but eventually you'll be able to set it up quickly and in a variety of less than ideal locations.

Vestibules: The overlapping vestibules tended to gap, but that was probably because I didn't have the pitch perfected. Evenso, water never came in, even in heavy rain. They provided lots of room for storing gear.

Condensation: I did get minimal condensation, but nothing more than I would expect with a single wall tent, and far less than I've had with other types. The higher dew point may have played a factor in this.

Set-up: It's a bit tricky to set up. Just like every other minimal shelter I've ever used. There are tricks and finesse unique to each type of tent and it takes a few pitches to get the hang of it. I strongly recommend watching the set-up video a few times and practicing at home. Even doing that I forgot a detail that I accidentally remembered in Virginia...and suddenly the tent was perfect...d'oh!

Setting up in the North Cascades

Space to Weight Ratio: This tent is huge. I felt like I had my own palace at night, not that I was awake very long to enjoy it. There was ample room for my gear and me (I'm 5'8"). Even when everything was wet there was enough room to shove the wet gear to the end of the tent and not touch it with my down bag while I slept. In fact, though this is certainly a one person shelter my boyfriend and I used it on our backpacking trip when I got home. He's 6'2" and we both used full length Thermarest NeoAir mattresses. Our gear had to stay outside and the zipper had a six inch gap, but we fit. That gives you an idea of how spacious this tent is...for only less than a pound. Mine weighed exactly a pound with stakes and the optional poles. Having broken and lost trekking poles I don't trust my tent set-up to them!

Highly recommended to any thru-hiker!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anish, You passed me headed up Donohue Pass in 2013 and I have to say your Anne Klein dress or whatever that was TOTES threw me off, I thought you were a JMT hiker. :P Then I saw your blisters at Tuolumne. Nevermind!
    I'm 5'10" and trim. You think I would feel that spaciousness in a SolPlex, too? Someone said Altaplex and I'm just not sure... it's not like I can try them on before buying... Cheers and congratulations on your personal accomplishments!! Puppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Puppy,
      That was a fun dress! I donated it to Andrea and Jerry Dinsmore for their impromptu hiker museum that's hanging in the dorm. :)
      It sounds like you're about 2 inches taller than me. I think you'd find the Soloplex to be plenty spacious. I certainly had quite a bit of space at my head and feet to throw my jumble of wet gear at the end of the day and not touch it.

      Delete