Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Sawyer Filter Review

It's a bit of a long story, but near the summit of the mountain where the idea for the Appalachian Trail was birthed I ruined my hydration system. The story involves animal dung, a spring, my bite valve, and gravity.



But prior to that, my Sawyer All-In-One filter and In-line adapter was working amazingly!

After that, I resorted to using a leaky Platypus as a squeeze bag for my filter and probably wasted countless hours until I finally threw the whole thing away in Damascus and switched to chlorine and a new Platypus Hoser. For the last 400 miles. At which point it didn't really matter anymore...but I digress.



Back to the filter.

Sawyer Squeeze Filters are excellent. I have been using the mini for a couple of years and have loved it. There are two main drawbacks:

  1. The squeeze bags wear out and burst annoyingly soon. As in after only a dozen uses or so. Buy extras.
  2. Squeezing water is a slow and tedious process, especially for large quantities.


Therefore, starting the AT with the All-In-One (higher flow rate) and an In-Line adapter for my Ultimate Direction bladder (note, if you use a bladder by Nathan or UD the adapter will not fit the hose. You'll have to use a platy or camelback hose instead) was the perfect solution.

  1. Easy to drink and filter at the same time
  2. Stop just long enough to fill the bladder and keep moving

The only drawback to that system was that the bladder was then always "dirty" water. When I filled from a municipal source I actually contaminated clean water only to filter it again as I drank. But, that was really a minor problem.

So, the moral of this story is this: Use the Sawyer All-In-One with the In-Line adapter if you use a hydration bladder. And, always use a bite valve cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment