Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Sealskinz Waterproof Socks Review

I am an ambassador for Sealskinz USA and as such receive my socks at no cost. I choose to write reviews on my blog for those who are interested. I am under no obligation from the company to do so, and the opinions expressed here are just that: my honest opinions based on my personal experience with the products reviewed.

I stumbled onto Sealskinz USA at the winter Outdoor Retailer show two years ago. I was immediately impressed with their waterproof technology and ordered a pair of socks for my second run at the Barkley Marathons. From there I have developed a working relationship with this great UK based company and have been privileged to try a wide variety of their gear in all types of conditions all over the world. The gear I have used has performed admirably from the summit of Rainier to the jungle of New Zealand. They've also been great supporters of my role as public speaker and frequently provide sample products to giveaway to the audience. Thank you, Terri and the Sealskinz USA co!

Since it all started with socks, I'll review several styles here today. For what it's worth, Sealskinz offers a huge variety in their socks and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a style that wouldn't work for you. Overall I have been extremely satisfied with the waterproofness and durability with only a couple of caveats and cautions.

  • Never, ever put them through the dryer! Alas, my first pair got fried when my boyfriend inadvertently put them in the dryer. They were never the same.
  • Make sure you're wearing the right temperature rating. I've had issues with super sweaty feet that ended up cold and wet because the socks I was wearing were too warm for conditions.
  • Consider a liner. Along those same lines I've layered my Sealskinz socks with Drymax liner socks for long days. This helps keep the feet from getting soggy from sweat.
  • Don't wade unless you've got hydrostop! I've made the mistake of fording rivers that were too deep for my sock height and ended up with a sock full of water for the rest of the day. Make sure you get one of their hydrostop models if you think there's a chance you'll be going over sock deep.
  • Keep the pebbles out! (and other debris) I wasn't conscientious about this on a mixed river/bushwhack/scree hike and noticed that small holes rendered the socks leaky. Pair them with good gaiters if you'll be taking them through rough terrain.


Here are the styles I've worn for various occaisions:
Barkley Marathons: Mid Length Mid Weight Sock
Mt. Rainier: Thick Mid Length Sock
Glacier Travel: Thick Mid Length Sock
Snowshoeing: Trekking Sock
River Fords: Women's Thin Mid Length Sock

Climbing Mt. Rainier with Sealskinz USA


1 comment:

  1. I wore a pair of Sealskinz Thin, Mid Length Socks stomping through the puddles and streams of a wet, Michigan spring and they were AWESOME. The combination of waterproofing and Merino wool kept my feet warm and dry for days. Thank you for recommending them!

    ReplyDelete